Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Music Post!


Melody Gardot

You guys. Pay attention to this. You need to listen to Melody Gardot. She was the free single of the week on iTunes a few months ago and I was immediately hooked.

I don't know; it's weird. The older I get, the more I like jazz music. It doesn't bother me, really, it's just something I've noticed lately. Does this mean I'm growing up? Naaahh.

Anyways, she's got a great, smooth jazz voice. And I don't mean that fake jazz shit that people like Christina Aguilera try to attempt and then all the magazines are like "Christina Aguilera's new hip jazz sound! Going back to her roots!" Which is bullshit, because as we all know, her roots are "Genie in a Bottle". And "DirrrrrrrrrrrrrrRrrRRRrrty". (Number of R's merely guessed.) But WHATEVER. I'm beginning to take this hypothetical situation way too seriously. Video time.




Keane

Yeah, I know Keane is nothing new to anyone, but gosh, I love these guys. They've never really gotten ginormously famous and I'm not sure why. They're compared to Coldplay a lot, and I see the similarities, but it's still different. The lead singer's voice is so comforting.

I just felt the need to express my love for them after hearing "Bedshaped" on Pandora internet radio. So lovely. (p.s.- this music video is mad sweet.)




Coldplay

Dear Coldplay,

I still like you. I just wanted you to know that.

I know lately you've been getting some flack for your new album, Viva la Vida or Death and all his Friends, and I'm not sure why. I have not heard the whole album, but what I have heard is a work of art. Viva la Vida gives me goosebumps. The lyrics are haunting and the chorus is beautifully catchy. Violet Hill is another catchy tune, but not in an annoying way. Lost! is very soulful and chill.

People keep saying it's pretentious. "The title is pretentious!" Viva la Vida? I think it's cool. "Using a Delacroix painting for the album cover is pretentious!" Again, I see nothing pretentious about that. I think using a famous painting such as Liberty Leading the People on the CD is awesome. Have you ever noticed how people who say stuff is pretentious are the pretentious ones for real?

And all those people are the ones who thought your last album, X&Y, was bad too. Don't worry, Coldplay. It wasn't. Fix You nearly brings me to tears when I hear it, and Speed of Sound is epic.

They all keep saying that your new stuff isn't like your first album, Parachutes. All I have to say to them is DUH. No artist's first attempt is anything like their latest. Why would you want to hear the same stuff over and over again? That would be boring. Some artists pull it off, like Jack Johnson (although his new album is a huge disappointment for me. But that's another story for another time.). And you know what I think, Coldplay? I think your new stuff is way better. Yeah, I mean, Yellow is a good nostalgic "Hey, remember 1998?" song, but it's not your best. And the video for it is one of the worst I've ever seen.

But I'm not here to tear you down, Coldplay. I'm here to remind you that you are awesome. And I wouldn't have you any other way.

Love, Mary.


No comments: