Friday, August 10, 2007

Today was Freshman Orientation at my school. I'm not a freshman, but I did sign up for Link Crew. Link Crew basically just shows freshman around campus, and tells them school rules and whatnot. I had to get up at 7 am. That was completely new for me. I've been getting up around 9:30 this summer. When I heard my alarm clock sounding No Doubt's Are You Happy Now, I felt an overwhelming and slightly satisfactory rush of irony.

Earlier in the school year, we could turn in a design for Link Crew t-shirts. I was the only person who turned in a design. At the first Link Crew meeting of summer, they end up telling me, "Sorry, we didn't use your design. It was a bit too intricate."

Which, to me, is translated as, "Next time, don't work as hard on your design. Try drawing some half-assed boat lifesaver with LINK CREW written on it and a pirate on the front." Because, you know, of course that's what they used. A half-assed boat lifesaver. Whatever happened to artistic integrity? I took that shit off as soon as Orientation was over.

Good news, though. A girl in my class really liked my drawing, and wants me to design the Sophomore Homecoming shirt. I gladly accepted the offer. I'm actually kind of excited about it, because the Homecoming theme this year is Pirates on the Big Screen. Perhaps I can draw a pirate dancing on a float to Danke Shan, ala Ferris Bueller's Day Off? Okay, now that I see it actually typed out I realize how lame that idea is, but the main idea is that I'm excited to include some of my favorite movies. If any other moron in my class were to design the shirt, it'd be some stupid pirate screeching to a llama, "Tina! Come get some dinner!"

I like Napoleon Dynamite as much as the next person, but people, let's calm down a bit. Ever since that movie came out, I can't say "Yessssss" without someone thinking I'm quoting the film. Newsflash: THE WORD "YES" EXISTED BEFORE NAPOLEON DYNAMITE.

---

In other news, the John Mayer concert was fantastically incredibly awesome. I won't go into real deep detail, but, here's a picture. Enjoy. (I give you permission to swoon, drool, and fantasize. God knows I have.)

No comments: