Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I'm sitting on the stool at my mom's candle store when I see a family about to step in. I get off the stool and welcome them. The two young kids enter first. The girl is whining about wanting to go on a boat trip, and the boy is just being rambunctious. I'm annoyed immediately, but of course, I act like everything is fine and dandy.

The mom enters and tries to look around at candles while watching her kids at the same time.

Finally the dad enters. He slowly steps around, and then sees the room where we make candles. I can see the sparkle in his eyes before he finally looks straight at me, points in the room, and says,

"Makin' candles..."

Of course, he's making a pop culture reference to the famous SNL sketch with Rob Schneider.



I cringe. My eyes open wide and I just try to crack a smile. That is one of my weaknesses- I cannot fake a smile. I'm sorry, but if you aren't funny, I can't pretend like you are.

I just have to keep reminding myself that there is some good in the world, despite the abundance of douche bags.

No comments: